History of Pauls Valley Regional Medical Center
Pauls Valley Regional Medical Center opened its doors to patients in January of 1970. When you trace the history of hospitals in Pauls Valley, you find out that over the years they have been in many locations and had many different names.
In 1905 Dr. Newton Harvey Lindsey and Dr. James R. Callaway formed a partnership. They had four or five beds for their patients, and their location was above a discount furniture store which was formerly known as Willis Variety Store. Dr. Galvin L. Johnson later joined the partnership and on June 1, 1916, the Pauls Valley Sanitarium was opened in rented quarters over Baker Drug Store which was in the building occupied by the Federal Land Bank and home to Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company. There were 10 beds and at that time it was considered a “modern” hospital. Mrs. Maude Low was the first superintendent.
In 1917 the hospital moved again, this time to 500 N. Willow in a building known as the Pratt Boarding House which was also formerly a school house. Miss Eugenia Davis, R.N. was superintendent at that time. The Sanitarium remained in that location until 1926 when the property became Stufflebean Funeral Home. The hospital then relocated to the second floor of the Pauls Valley National Bank with doctors’ offices and 12 beds for patients.
The hospital continued to be known as the Pauls Valley Sanitarium until 1936 when Dr. Edward Shirley became a partner of Dr. Johnson and Dr. Ray Lindsey and the hospital’s name was changed to the Lindsey-Johnson-Shirley Hospital and Clinic. A new hospital was then built by Ernest Weaver in 1937 next to what was most recently Barton Drug. The Lindsey-Johnson-Shirley Hospital and Clinic remained there until 1948 when the property at the corner of Grant and Pine was purchased and that became the sixth location for the hospital. The name was also changed to N.H. Lindsey Memorial Hospital and it was equipped with 37 patient beds. The First Baptist Church parking lot now occupies that location. In January 1970, the 64 bed Pauls Valley General Hospital opened in its present location.
In 2018 Pauls Valley General Hospital was acquired and renamed Pauls Valley Regional Medical Center.
The PVGH Foundation
Pauls Valley General Hospital Foundation, Inc. was established in 1995 with the purpose of providing long term benefits to Pauls Valley General Hospital through the establishment of an endowment. Interest from the endowment will be used for physician recruitment, upgrading and replacing outdated equipment, and funding new programs and services.
The endowment efforts were initiated by a fundraising campaign with a 1995 goal of $950,000. The goal was surpassed raising $1,023,452.05 in cash, pledges and deferred gifts.
At present the hospital foundation has gifts and pledges exceeding $1,825 million. Of that amount $420,000 was raised by the hospital employees, physicians, Board of Directors and auxiliary. The community and surrounding area have contributed the balance with two $75,000 contributions from Pauls Valley National Bank and First United Bank.
The Loftin Conference Center, which is part of the hospital’s recent expansion, and a number of in-kind gifts of equipment are results of the foundation’s efforts. The conference center was named for C.T. and Lida Marion Loftin who were long time residents of Pauls Valley. The conference center will seat up to 50 people and has audio/visual capabilities.
Pauls Valley General Hospital Foundation has the IRS 501(c)(3) designation making donations tax deductible. The foundation also holds financial and health related seminars to help people with long range financial planning and health issues.
The Foundation’s office is located at the Willows Assisted Living Residence, 301 Melville Drive, Pauls Valley, OK 73075. For further information, contact Frank Avignone, at (405) 238-4414.